Sunday, August 3, 2008

I made it!

I made it on time today to Guatemala. I was a little worried at first. We boarded the plane early in St. Louis due to the big storm that suddenly developed this morning at 8am, thinking we would depart early...nope, we had to wait out the storm. There was a lot of lightening. I am glad we waited, but only had an hour to get to my next plane in Houston. The crew told me if I missed the connecting flight then next one was full, but one was leaving at 7pm, getting to Houston near 10pm. Eek, I didn't want to get to Guatemala at 10pm, but I would have phoned the driver and had him pick me up. It wouldn't be worse than arriving to pick up Nico with the driver late and not having any telephone numbers to call anyone or knowing the address to the people I was staying with. But, it worked out fine. We were ready to taxi when the storm passed as we were all on board and we made it to Houston 5 minutes early. So....I made it.

Okay, I guess you don't really care about all of that. The translator, FM, and Luca met me at 3pm. I felt so bad for the foster mom, she loves him so much. She gave me her address and emails so I can send her pictures. I was happy for that. She was a wonderful mother to him and gave him a great start in his life.

Needless to say, he is doing super!!!!! We have met many friends here at the hotel who are also going to Embassy on Tuesday. I have been chatting with a few of them on the Guatemala_adoption yahoo group. It's like you know all about them and can now put a face to them.

It looks like all my paperwork is in order. The facilitator (translator) is picking me up Tuesday morning at 6:30am! We are number 12 so she expects us to be out of there by 10am. Then we are done for the day. I return on Wednesday at 3pm to pick up the visa and then we are free to go. So earlllllly Thursday we are out of here!

We may venture to the Zoo tomorrow if some other families are going. It would be fun to have pictures of him with other kids at the zoo. It is close and it is cheap. It is the rainy season here so we never know what the weather will be like. It rained all afternoon and was actually chilly outside (well, chilly for me, anyone else it probably felt good). I am used to the 100 degree heat at home. If not, we might just hang out at the pool tomorrow.

He is sleeping peacefully now at 8pm. We'll see how long he stays asleep. FM said he goes to bed at 10pm there and wakes at 5am for a bottle, then back to sleep until 8:30am. I like the 8:30 part, but 10pm is a bit late. We'll fix that once we get home and adjusted to a routine.

The FM did not cut his hair. Everyone loves his curls. He is just the cutest little chub. I could cuddle with him all day.

Michael and Nico went to the boat races today. It was guys day out....Nico kept telling me it was the guys week. They were hanging with grandpa, Uncle Vince, Uncle Vern, and my cousin David. Not sure if Uncle Doug was there. Definitely not lacking in the male role models in his life. Luca will be just as popular and loving I'm sure.

Okay, signing off for now.


Auntie G said...

So glad you made it early enough to get Luca today. Have a great time!!!

Joshua said...

whoo hoo CONGRATS!!! So glad to hear the baby is adjusting well!! It's finally here!! yipee!!!! So happy for you!!

Cheri (prounounced like the tree, like the fruit, as in Cherry Pie) said...

So happy for you! This week will fly by so enjoy your special bonding time. Blessings, Cheri in Missouri

Kathy Kidd said...