Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Valentine Fun

While I love being showered with gifts and love, it is really the displaying of love that I enjoy. I am not a material person and told my honey not to spend any money on Valentine's day(unless it was a nice peice of jewelry) buying my candy (don't need it - to fattening) or flowers that were just going to die anyway. I love spending time with my family, that is what is important to me.

I had to work Saturday night, so we went out Friday night; Michael, Nico, Luca, and I, to dinner at Chihauhau's (a yummy Mexican Restaurant in town). Brian was already at his dad's so missed the dinner. It was very nice to sit down with the love's of my life and have a nice dinner. My kids are so well behaved when we go out (well, they are very well behaved period). I am very proud to have them with me.

Nico talked Daddy into letting him stay home with him on Saturday night while Luca went to my sister's and me to work. Nico and Daddy made a trip into town and bought special gifts Saturday. When I got home Sunday morning from work....I had a beautiful green, palm tree plant and a current issue of STAR magazine (Nico knows I read the covers while standing in the grocery lines), and an adorable singing card. PERFECT gifts! I had Nerds Ropes for the boys and hugs and kisses and I love you's all day for my boys. (They get most of that all the time anyway).

Saturday morning Nico and I spent time making his valentine box for our homeschool coop valentine party on Monday. As kids we always made valentine boxes for school and there were prizes for the boxes. My dad always came up with the COOLEST ideas. (one year I had a record player and posted below is the guitar my mom actually still has in her attic). My creative little boy, Nico, decided this year he wanted a giraffe. OKay! A giraffe it is. A couple of years ago, his 4.5 year old mind wanted a triceratops....I was like - oh yeah, like we can make a shoe box look like a triceratops....well, we did,,,he used it for 2 years. So, a giraffe should be much easier. Once we got rolling it was great. See the pics below. (I am also posting the triceratops because he turned out awesome!) Nico is so imaginative and creative...I LOVE IT! His mind never stops going!

Guitar valentine box (circa 1975)

Nico's giraffe valentine box

So, on Monday we had the Valentine party and valentine exchange. The kids all made really cute crafts (decorative wooden hangars with their names in shrinky dinks on them). We ate yummy food and exchanged valentines. The kids just have a great time playing together and we moms love visiting and chatting and watching the kids. Luca is really settling in with the kids too. It is fun to watch all age levels interact with each other.


So, all in all, a great Valentine's Day for me...no complaining here!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

My chocolates were amazing :-)